Congenital heart diseases are found since birth but may remain undetected up to childhood or even up to adulthood. In general language, it is said like a hole in heart, narrow valve, valve leakage or anomalous connection of vessels. These are different from coronary heart diseases which are predominantly found in the adult population and related to lifestyle.
If any symptom of CHD persists, proper and timely treatment will help the patient live a healthy life. In the previous era, open-heart surgery used to be considered as the only option for the treatment of CHDs (Congenital heart diseases). However, it had drawbacks like a surgical scar on the chest, long hospital stay, and associated morbidities as longer rest, secondary infection and reduced immunity.
Nowadays with advancements in technology and medical sciences, many of the heart diseases can be treated by cardiac intervention by a venous or arterial route that will have no surgical scar, reduced hospital stay, and infection. The patient can resume full activity on the very next day, and no special precaution or diet is required for it.
There are multiple varieties of procedures which are done by cardiac intervention; few of them are mentioned here-
- Holes in the heart such as Atrial septal defect (ASD), Ventricular septal defect (VSD), Aortopulmonary window (AP Window), and RSOV fistula can be closed with the specially designed device.
- Abnormal venous or arterial connection as patent ductus arteriosus (PDA), coronary cameral fistula can be occluded with the device.
- Narrowing of valve such as pulmonary stenosis, aortic stenosis, mitral or tricuspid stenosis can be dilated with balloon dilatation.
- Narrowing of arteries as coarctation of aorta can be treated by balloon dilatation or stenting.
- In complex heart diseases like Transposition of great arteries, balloon atrial septostomy (BAS) is done to stabilize the newborn baby till surgery.
- Post myocardial infarction VSD device closure.
- Temporary or permanent pacemaker implantation done in heart rate and rhythm abnormality.
All these procedures are done on affordable rates in highly advanced Cath lab equipped with all modern technology in Choithram hospital and research centre, INDORE. In central India, Choithram hospital is the only hospital which has dedicated Paediatric Cardiologist, pediatric cardiac anaesthetist, state of art level III NICU and PICU, management of heartbeat problems and heart blocks in newborn babies and children like pacemaker implantation, arrhythmia clinic, hypertension clinic, heart failure clinic so that all types of cardiac problems can be evaluated and treated.
We have dedicated Pediatric Cardiologist and adult
Structural cardiac disease interventionist Dr. Prashant Agrawal, who has huge experience in congenital heart disease management and intervention in all age groups from newborns to adults. He has a special interest and expertise in Fetal Echo and fetal cardiac management dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure, systemic and pulmonary hypertension, and arrhythmias management.